Traders?

smoke_th

Traders?

Post by smoke_th » Sat 16. Aug 2014, 09:24

Guys, question to Andre. What happened with traders: the intergalactic trading game?
more specifically with it's ip and copyright posession? Who owns it at the moment? Also who owns assets copyrights?

I mean - i was thinking about re-imagining the game,

André
Administrator

Re: Traders?

Post by André » Sun 17. Aug 2014, 10:45

Hi smoke_th

The copyrights and related rights belong to me.
What exactly is your plan?

smoke_th

Post by smoke_th » Sun 17. Aug 2014, 12:50

André wrote:Hi smoke_th

The copyrights and related rights belong to me.
What exactly is your plan?
I already conjured up basic design document. Either add me on skype "smoke_th" or at google hangouts ( smokethehedgehog@gmail.com ) so we can talk through.

smoke_th

Post by smoke_th » Sun 17. Aug 2014, 15:09

But very basically.(design doc aside)
Since you're held on to copyright it will be easier.
Here are few parts you can actually do with the original?
1. Move original to opensource GPLv3, porting it to sdl - lots of good people did that to their producs so they wouldn't go to waste - abuse, tyrian, warzone2100, ID does it periodically. I can take it upon myself and probably employ some programmers to finish up the code, include best parts from both versions (music from amiga, button and action sounds from dos, better graphics from amiga as well).
2. Do a release on gog.com of the original game (free even, as like tyrian did)
3. My version of the game i am planning to release is somewhat of a re-imagining with elements and usability added (in short - changes i decided upon in scale and usability are similar to changes between theme park and roller coaster tycoon) - focus shifter from arcade'ish top-down "first reach first serve" frustrated approach (really - that's the worst part of the original - frustration factor - cannot concentrate on managing efficently enough because of it) to more cautious "lot cost" system (once again - in design doc.). Additionally resource trading system should (and will be) changed like this:
*excerpt from design doc*
[*]Fourth stage is a trading stage. That’s where players sell/buy resources.
Note that buying off mike’s warehouse is always costly, and selling to mike’s warehouse is always dirt cheap.
So instead stage split on 2.
  • Players throw out sell orders with checkbox(sell to other players, if nobody bought - sell to warehouse at the end of buy state). (price is at least 5$ higher than sell to warehouse).
    Then players review sell orders of each other and decide to either buy from warehouse or buy from offer, if there’s any purchasing needs to be done.

André
Administrator

Post by André » Sat 23. Aug 2014, 09:45

Thanks for the informations.
I have sent you an email.